[WEB4LIB] Re: how to get it all done

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Apr 22 13:03:08 EDT 2005

Yes, reading is fundamental.  EE IS proprietary software (strictly
speaking).  The terms of use clarify it nicely:

> may not resell, redistribute or transfer the modified or derivative
> version without prior written consent from pMachine Inc. Components
> from ExpressionEngine Software may not be extracted and used in other
> programs without prior written consent from pMachine Inc."

If something were to happen to pMachine, your local software folks may
be able to continue supporting it, but you would not be able to
redistribute it in any way. The project as a whole, then, would
die--unless pMachine redistributed it with a different license.

I apologize if my tone wasn't friendly earlier; my goal was to
point out what I see as a key difference between a product like
EE, and Mambo. It may not be an important distinction for everyone,
but it's the core principle that I'm building my business around, so
I'm eager to defend it.

Joshua

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO, LIBLIME                migration, training, maintenance, support