[WEB4LIB] USB memory

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Apr 22 12:39:36 EDT 2005

Katie,

You're in luck - this was discussed just a couple of months ago. See this
post by Alnisa Allgood on how to add a shortcut for Unplug/Eject
Disk/Device to the desktop:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0502/0070.html

There's a number of related posts in the archive on this topic:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0502/thread.html#54

I've never heard of a device actually being damaged when you remove it
without stopping it. However, I have personally experienced the loss of
data when I removed a device before a file was completely transferred to
the device (on Windows 2000). As far as adding USB support generally, I
would encourage you to pursue it. Our patrons expect it to be available.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI