[WEB4LIB] Re: how to get it all done

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Apr 22 11:35:30 EDT 2005

I don't think 'saying' you're using open source is the point. Neither
is using open source that's inferior to proprietary systems. The
difference with open source is that you have the power to change how
the tool measures up. That's how companies like Red Hat and LibLime
exist: we have users who recognize that it's more efficient to pay for
support and development than licenses.

For instance, when Nelsonville Public Library in Ohio first looked
at Koha, it didn't have MARC support. They could have thrown the towel
in right there and decided to go with a proprietary system -- as a tool,
Koha didn't measure up. However, when they looked at the numbers they
realized that developing MARC support would cost less than migrating
to another proprietary system.

And regardless of whether a system is built on open source tools, it's
proprietary when the code is closed. EE may be a great product, but
what will happen to it if pMachine decides not to continue development
on it? If it was open source, it's users could simply find another
software team to continue.

Joshua

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO, LIBLIME                migration, training, maintenance, support