[WEB4LIB] Fw: [Libs-Or] [Fwd: Our future??]

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 22 09:54:17 EDT 2005

Concerning the video's claim that commercial interests will guaranty
that we get a network of information that is largely watered down and
unreliable (this would be something new?), I'm inclined to respond by
quoting Sturgeon's Law:

"Sturgeon's Law /prov./ "Ninety percent of everything is crap". Derived
from a quote by science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, who once said,
"Sure, 90% of science fiction is crud. That's because 90% of everything is
crud." Oddly, when Sturgeon's Law is cited, the final word is almost
invariably changed to `crap'. Compare Hanlon's Razor, Ninety-Ninety Rule.
Though this maxim originated in SF fandom, most hackers recognize it and
are all too aware of its truth."
--http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/s/SturgeonsLaw.html

It's a depressing thought in that the good is always swamped by the bad,
but it's an encouraging one in that the good is always there if you're
willing to look for it.  C'est la vie.

Keep reading Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance and keep pursuing
Quality.  Don't get bent out of shape coveting what Amazon and Google and
Microsoft seem to have.

Chris

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up
in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office." -Robert
Frost