user-reviews in OPAC (redux)

Kenneth R. Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Mon Apr 18 16:39:32 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

One of our faculty members recently asked if we could add functionality
that would allow patrons to comment on books to the OPAC a la Amazon. This
is not a new idea, nor is it a first for this list, but it *is* the first
time I've actually had a patron ask for this functionality. Heretofore it
has all been librarianly wouldn't-it-be-cool.

So I checked the archives and found some discussion of this from 1999-2000
and I'm wondering if anyone's been working on this since then. Is it
happening? Have we abandoned the idea? Did my searching miss more recent
discussions?

I'm just starting to think about ways this might sensibly be accomplished;
is anyone a few steps ahead of me? I'd be especially keen to hear about
integrating this functionality on/with III's Innopac platform, but any
practical (or, heck, theoretical) experience would be welcome.

Thanks
Ken

Ken Irwin                                               kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian        (937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University