[WEB4LIB] Categorization of a Digital Library

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Apr 4 14:38:52 EDT 2005

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to figure out a good classfication scheme for a small digital
> library (about 2000 f/text titles) and a few access points to improve
> browsing. LC classification system looks too much universal for our small
> collection. Are you awared of a good system that may apply for our
> situation? Our collection is cross-spectrum. It inclues literature,
> history, philosophy, science, art, political science, etc. Many thanks in
> advance.
>
> Sharon

Take a look at Librarians' Index to the Internet, http://lii.org . Our
home-grown taxonomy just well in usability testing and it's one that has
been developed for over a decade by people who work with real people. Our
collection is oriented toward librarians and lifelong learners, meaning in
the latter case it can't be arcane or Klingon-esque. If you find our
taxonomy useful, please do adopt it. On our new site we may even have a
topic browser that enables further taxonomical exploration.

I agree, and I say this from plenty of experience, LCSH is NOT a good
browsing taxonomy for Web resources. We will continue to assign LCSH to our
items, but on our new site they will not be prominent affordances on items
as they are now.

Karen G. Schneider
Director, Librarians' Index to the Internet, http://lii.org
kgs at lii.org