[WEB4LIB] Blog: Open source vs. commercial

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Apr 29 12:33:03 EDT 2005

At 11:58 AM -0700 4/28/05, Shaw Yu wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Would you please share your view/experience about using open source blog
>software (e.g., Nucleus) vs. commercial one (e.g., Movable Type)?

Well I'm into PHP solutions, and I think one of the best in the field
is Expression Engine http://www.pmachine.com/expressionengine/ which
is a commercial product.  I've used it to develop blogs, nonprofit
sites, commercial sites, a neighborhood website, catalogs of data,
intermixed cross-tabulation reports, specialized forms, and other PHP
apps right into with little issue.   It's officially on my highly
recommended list.

That said, WordPress is also good, a bit more basic, but perfectly
acceptable and far better than a number of open source CMS tools. If
your just looking for a straight forward blogging tool that's free,
and uses PHP/MySQL and has a nice site of pre-defined templates, then
that's probably the direction I'd send you.

Alnisa