[WEB4LIB] learning db programming- tips

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Thu Apr 21 14:05:02 EDT 2005

At 9:02 AM -0700 4/21/05, Karen Davis wrote:
>Andrew (or anyone else who wants to chime in):
>more and more I'm resigned to having to learn db programming, but
>I'm dumb as dirt about it!
>Could you please give me some tips on how to get started? What
>software do I need? (I use DW MX 2004 to create web pages)

Two books that should be on every web and database programmers
bookshelf, regardless of expertise level are both by Michael J
Hernandez.  Database Design for Mere mortals, and SQL Queries for
Mere Mortals.

Database Design offers the basics of relational database theory in a
simple, easy-to-understand , software independent approach.  The
principles are solid. The tips and tricks are useful.  I also
recommend it to a number of clients who are exploring the idea of a
custom-built database system. Doesn't matter if they hire me or some
other developer, if they know some of the basics, the process is just
a whole lot easier and more meaningful for both us.

SQL Queries has become my new bible. I use it in conjunction with
other books, but its best use, is for helping me breakdown a problem,
by starting with a spoken word question, expanding to get all the if,
thens or buts, then walking through that final sentence/statement to
produce a SQL Query.  This approach has even made cross-tabulations
in SQL fairly easy to produce.

You can still use DreamWeaver to create pages that interact with a
database. The biggest issue will be the lack of local data.  Most DW
developers are just use to having their data on the page. The biggest
difference to programming with a database is that  the page is just a
shell, instead of your data being on the page just a query to
retrieve the data (and code to manipulate it, will display.

But the benefits are great; and you don't have to be a super
programming to get started.

Alnisa