[WEB4LIB] learning db programming- tips

Stephen Meyer stephen_meyer at ncsu.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:49:14 EDT 2005

If starting with a knowledge of HTML (and guessing at the database and
scripting capabilities available to you), I would recommend the O'Reilly
book Web database applications with PHP and MySQL by Hugh E. Williams
and David Lane. It will provide an overview of both PHP and MySQL and
how they are integrated with a server in a web environment. The book is
based on an example/tutorial model. After that your ready reference
sources might be things like http://php.net/ and
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html. These were some of the
main resources that got me up and running.

-steve

Karen Davis wrote:

> Andrew Darby wrote:
>
>>Both are now running off one MySQL database, and we connect with PHP.  I
>>know you said you didn't do db programming, but it is the best way to
>>handle this sort of thing, and isn't as hard as it may seem at first
>>blush . . . .
>

> Andrew (or anyone else who wants to chime in):
> more and more I'm resigned to having to learn db programming, but I'm dumb as dirt about it!
> Could you please give me some tips on how to get started? What software do I need? (I use DW MX 2004 to create web pages)
>

> --
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Karen Davis, Coordinator
> Center for Community Networking &
> Web Administrator
> Lawrence Public Library
> 707 Vermont Street
> Lawrence, KS 66044
> 785.843.3833 ext. 104
>
> --

Stephen Meyer
NCSU Libraries Fellow
North Carolina State University

Home Dept: Textiles     Project Dept: Systems
Phone: 919.513.3862     Phone: 919.515.7694
Fax: 919.515.3926       Fax: 919.513.3330

stephen_meyer at ncsu.edu