[WEB4LIB] RE: OpenURL Standard Z39.88 - Approved

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Sat Apr 16 18:10:41 EDT 2005

Most people on the list are probably familiar with the use of OpenURL
to link to full-text journal articles in libraries.

The just-approved OpenURL NISO (and thus ANSI) Standard does the following
1. it cleans up some loose ends for the journal article and book
linking applications (versioning and identification, primarily).

2. it adds metadata sets to enable open linking for patents,
dissertations and "dublin core" objects.
  so now you can use openurl to link to Abraham Lincoln's patent,
Stephen Hawking's PH.D Thesis, and other stuff.

3. it provides machinery that enables communities to define
extensions for new types of subject matter.
This last is most needing of a "show me" examples.
example areas where open linking could prove useful
- links to musical works and performances
- links to stock information
- links to legal cases
- links to biological organisms
- links to scriptural passages
- links to major league baseball players
but I'm not holding my breath.

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor