[WEB4LIB] For Anne

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Sep 12 01:01:40 EDT 2004

This was very beautiful. For those who remember Anne, there is a blog set up
at http://wazzup.infopeople.org/archives/000083.html where you can post
comments (though they would be welcome to Web4Lib).

I remember so much about Anne, even though I have only known her several
years. Perhaps the best part of what I remember is that when I moved out to
California several years ago to take over Librarians' Index and knew almost
no one, Anne (and her husband Steve) opened her home to me, took me to book
readings, encouraged me, and in general made me feel welcome and not alone.

Anne was a class act. One of the sorrows, as Roy suggests, is that with the
closing of Library Solutions Press, there ends a special era. She was a
special publisher, one who believed in writers and in the people who produce
books. Some of you may not be at the point in your careers where starting a
library press is something you could consider. And certainly when some of us
start publishing enterprises, they will not look like the book presses of
yore. But if you venture into enterprises, however space-age digital, please
put people first. Anne did.

Any of us would be lucky to have one tenth of Anne's vision and integrity.
She will be greatly missed.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com