[WEB4LIB] RE: Dreamweaver templates

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 7 09:57:14 EDT 2004

This is a pain in the butt.  It also happens with any sort of table tag
(i.e. table, tr, td, th) if you click into the wysiwyg pane.

Another problem I have found with DW_MX is if you place a timestamp in
the template, outside of the editable region, it will throw this error
(but, oddly, update the timestamp correctly).  At my previous job, these
sorts of idiosyncracies caused enormous confusion among the 50 or so web
authors who used DW.

Unlike Bill, I did not feel that DW was a particularly good tool for our
content contributors (although very good for the web site
administrator).  It was too complicated and site management just went
way over their heads.  Contribute solves a lot of these problems, but
it's expensive to deploy to entire organizations.

I wrote a Contribute alternative, WebTribute, which, as the name
implies, is a web based, php/postgresql app which functions roughly the
same as Contribute.

The site for WebTribute is http://webtribute.sourceforge.net.  You'll
note that there aren't any files there if you look right now.  But by
actually posting this url, it means I will have to get off my lazy butt
and actually upload the files today.

So, uh, later today, look at that url (if you're interested).

-Ross.