[WEB4LIB] Re: Lobbying for a dedicated web server

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Sep 4 11:22:15 EDT 2004

> First I would simply ask them for the things you need, while justifying
> why you need those things. Don't start by specifying you want your own
> server, simply make the case for the kind of functionality you need and
> let them decide how best to provide it.

Wow, such a good thread... I'm definitely in the league with specifying your
functionality and taking it from there. What does the end product look like?
Who is it serving? What can't you do now that you want to do?

Presumably, you don't so much want your own server as much as you want to
provide services to your users that your current network operating
environment can't support. Begin with the user and work backwards. That will
not only make for a more persuasive argument, but if you do end up cobbling
together your system from outsourced applications, you'll have a rough guide
of where you're going and what you're doing. Planning is a Good Thing. And
some day someone will inherit whatever you've created, so the more
intentional and focused you are in creating it, the easier it will be for
the new person to build on what you've done.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com