Keeping informed of Internet issues

Barkovich, Greg Greg.Barkovich at city.burnaby.bc.ca
Fri Sep 3 17:44:03 EDT 2004

Over the past few days Yahoo email has been up and down (at least for
our patrons both in the library and at home). I have done a number of
Internet searches (Google, internet.com, cnet news, etc) but can't find
any mention of what the problem at Yahoo might be. In the past when this
type of thing has happened, eg, a virus or worm shuts down hotmail, it
is a big help to desk staff to be able to show our patrons a print out
stating what the problem is.

Has anyone else experienced this recent Yahoo problem (often the icons
on the top of the Yahoo homepage don't appear and/or access to the email
login page is not available)? And what's the best way to keep up on this
type of Internet news? Yahoo itself doesn't appear to be too forthcoming
about their own technical problems (if indeed that is what the problem
is).

Thanks.

Greg Barkovich, Librarian
Burnaby Public Library