[WEB4LIB] RE: Lobbying for a dedicated web server

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 3 14:13:49 EDT 2004

I definitely agree with this.  The importance is comfort level.  Systems
administration has to be more than "sitting a linux box in the corner
and letting it run itself".  If you don't have the desire to devote time
to really knowing linux system administration (and campus computing
won't do it), you are just setting up a little liability machine inside
your campus.

If you feel more comfortable with windows as your OS, run your website
on that.  If a WAMP configuration suits your resources better, hey, 3
out of 4 ain't bad.  I would still say that you're "fighting the good
fight".

So, basically, if you feel the benefits of Linux are worth the resources
you would need to expend (and, if utilized properly, can be), go for
it.  However, if you want something "low-maintenance", this basically
means something you feel comfortable "maintaining yourself'.

This brings up a question, though.  In the three academic libraries I
have worked at, there has always been a strained relationship with
campus computing; mostly on topics such as these (no support for the
scripting languages/services/OS/Network layer/etc. the library wishes to
run).  As a result, the library has always basically broken off from
campus computing and began hosting their own servers and services.

I've always worked in bigger libraries; there was staff and resources to
handle this.  Do smaller libraries wish they could do this, but lack the
resources?  Have you thought about getting together with other
departments and pooling resources for this?  What about contracting
through a commercial ISP?  A local consortia?

I am very curious why we feel compelled to solve the same problems over
and over again.

-Ross.