handout printing tips

Nina McHale nlm25 at georgetown.edu
Fri Sep 3 13:50:48 EDT 2004

Greetings, all,

Can anyone share some tips about making web documents print neatly as
8.5 x 11 handouts?  We maintain a couple dozen subject guides and we're
reconsidering the format. The current web format of the guides, which
print fine on 8.5 x 11, looks like this:

http://www.library.georgetown.edu/guides/africanamerican/index.htm

And we're considering switching to this to make them match the template
of our website:

http://www.library.georgetown.edu/guides/chemistry/index.htm

Mozilla's "shrink to fit" option truncates the images, and I'd prefer to
avoid a browser-specific fix, anyway.  We also don't want to maintain
both an HTML and a .pdf file for each guide.  Is there something simple
in the code of our current format (I wasn't here when they were
designed) that makes them word wrap neatly onto a print copy?

Reply to me, and I'll summarize if there's interest.

Thanks in advance,

Nina

Nina McHale
Reference Librarian/Web Services Coordinator
Lauinger Library
Georgetown University