Wikipedia Question

gary price gary at resourceshelf.com
Fri Sep 3 11:31:22 EDT 2004

PLEASE RESPOND OFF-LIST!!!! I will summarize.
----

I'm doing some research about the Wikipedia (I've read the recent
thread) and have a couple of questions.

1) Since anyone can license the data, repackage it, and then have it
crawled by a web engine how does the unknowing searcher know that
the version he or she is using is the most current/updated version
available since updates/changes are happening all of the time.

Along the same lines, what happens if someone is a regular user of a
version with incorrect info that is not updated?

2) From what I can find Wikipedia does not require licensees to keep
their version updated with the latest changes (similar to the ODP).
Is this correct?  This is the case with ODP data. Today, many
outdated versions exist yet still place high on serp's.

3) Should the major web engines only crawl ONE version of Wikipedia
material?

cheers,
gary

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit The ResourceShelf
http://www.resourceshelf.com