digitization of libraries' historic materials

Robin Boulton rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Tue Sep 21 16:14:02 EDT 2004

To those that are currently involved in digitization projects of their
libraries' historic materials...

We've scanned and stored our local biographies, our newspaper articles, and
our city directories.  Now we're looking at the local high school yearbooks
as candidates for digitization.  Part of our motivation is to preserve our
collection, which spans from 1923-2003.  Our main raison d'digitizitation,
though, is to have a complete yearbook even after some lovely patrons decide
that they want to razor out pictures of their crushes/arch
enemies/themselves on a bad hair day.

Our concerns are two-fold: first, what will the Copyright Police think of
our scheme; and second, what about privacy issues?  Personally, I wouldn't
be thrilled to have my senior photograph next to my name up on a website.
However, there are those that say permission was given when the student
agreed to have their picture included in the yearbook, when they could have
chosen to opt out.

Any input on how best to handle these sticky questions?  Please reply to me
directly.

Thanks,

Posted on behalf of Michelle Caulk

mcaulk at linc.lib.il.us