wikipedia, redux...

Marc Truitt mtruitt at uh.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:19:36 EDT 2004

Concerning the recent thread here about whether or not we should
use/recommend Wikipedia as a reference source...

This morning, one of our cataloguers here shared the following new LC
subject authority record with library staff :

010    sh2004001503
040    DLC ?b eng ?c DLC
005    20040325160112.0
150    Hinnies
550    Livestock ?w g
550    Donkeys
550    Horses
670    Work cat.: 2003070232: Grovet, Heather. Beanie, the horse that
wasn't a horse, 2004.
670    Wikipedia, Feb. 12, 2004 ?b (Hinny: the offspring of a male
horse and a female donkey)
670    Am. heritage dict. ?b (Hinny, n., pl-nies: The hybrid offspring
of a male horse and a female donkey)

MARC-savvy readers of web4lib will recognize authority format tag 670 as
shorthand for 'source data found'.

The lesson?  I suppose if Wikipedia is good enough for our own use in
establishing authorized controlled-vocabulary headings, then it's good
enough for...

... well, you get the idea.  :)

cheers,

- mt

Marc Truitt
Assistant Dean for Systems                      Voice  : 713-743-8979
University of Houston Libraries                 e-mail : mtruitt at uh.edu
114 University Libraries                        cell   : 713-443-6421
Houston, TX 77204-2000                          fax    : 713-743-9811

"I keep hearing you're concerned about my happiness
But all that thought you're giving me is conscience, I guess
If I were walking in your shoes I wouldn't worry none
While you and your friends are worrying 'bout me,
I'm having lots of fun..."
                                -- The Statler Brothers