[WEB4LIB] Best terminology for OPAC searches?

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Sep 8 12:40:30 EDT 2004

This is just proof that OPACs are designed for librarians, not patrons.
Almost all of your choices assumes a certain level of knowledge on the part
of the patron.

> (1) Keyword searches
> Which is best:
> Title  or  Title Keyword(s)  or  Title Words
> or ...?

I'd go with "Title"

> (2) Exact searches
> Which is best:
> Title (exact)  or  Title Phrase  or  Title begins with...
> or ...?

Why not just "Title" and run the search regardless. Give them the option to
use quotes if they want a phrase search.

> (3) Designating a telnet version of the catalog
> Which is best:
> telnet  or  text-based  or  command-line  or terminal-style
> or ...?

How about "Text only". This would be non-technical (Telnet/command
line/terminal) and accurate. ("Text-based" makes no sense. The interface is
not "based on text", it is text.)

> Does anyone have actual test data on this, or know of catalogs whose
> terminology may have been influenced by user testing?

My input is purely from watching patrons and being one myself.

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 x110 :: msauers at bcr.org