[WEB4LIB] RE: WebTribute

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 8 09:20:50 EDT 2004

Lisa,

I wrote this while I was web coordinator at Emory's main library and the
policy there was to basically let anyone who wanted to edit the site's
content.  This gave us a pool of about 100 possible, trained content
editors, of which about 30-40 were actually active.

When I became coordinator, the means for publishing content was via
Dreamweaver 4 or MX.  This was extremely problematic and simple DW
maintenance comprised a vast majority of my time.  I really wanted to
move to something simpler and designed solely for content editing, not
web design, but was not yet ready to commit to a full blown CMS.

I liked the functionality of Contribute and thought it was basically
what we wanted, but to buy 100 licenses seemed prohibitively expensive.
Also, while we were testing Contribute, it was painfully slow - I am not
sure if this was a problem with Contribute or SMB networking or what,
but it was slow.  Hence, I spent about 3 weeks building WebTribute.

After I left Emory, I think they decided to go with Contribute after all
(since the sole means of support for WebTribute was no longer working
for them), so here it is, for hopefully somebody to use.

So, there's the motivation.

-Ross.