[WEB4LIB] RE: Acrobat 6

Sutherland, Paul Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz
Sun Sep 5 20:44:20 EDT 2004

Hi

we are having a bunch of problems with a collection of over 22,000 pdf documents we have purchased.

We have built a browse interface to these but are having problems viewing them.

These are Scanned and paper captured documents. Viewing these in a browser with Acrobat as a plugin our main problem is that they dont diplay anything until you do a refresh (by hitting the reload icon in the browser - not f5) This is only a problem with Adobe Reader (Acrobat Reader) 6.0.x (x=1,2,3)

I imagine i could solve this by optimising them but they are locked.

For our public computers disenging Acrobat as a plugin (e.g. launches Acrobat not in the browser) solves this display problem.

However ironically on staff machines (where user doesnt have local admin) this loads a broken Graphic icon, and doesn't launch Acrobat. This appears to be an issue with our image (produced by our parent City Council) which most staff (except a lucky few like myself) get to use. This occurs with both w2k and XP using acrobat reader 6.

We have no problems though with Acrobat reader 5 on these machines - however we have upgraded staff (and public) because users were encountering PDF's with 6 only features (including ones that our council had produced)

So we cant win...

Just waiting for an Adobe fix (OR?)...

/paul