[WEB4LIB] RE: Acrobat 6

cruby at micron.com cruby at micron.com
Thu Sep 2 17:03:32 EDT 2004

We have had multiple problems with Acrobat Reader 6 freezing up our PCs.
We are trying to change to electronic delivery of articles from our
document delivery service but this is proving to be a major headache due
to the idiosyncrasies of Acrobat 6.  I talked to our information systems
people who told me this is a "known bug."  One thing they had me do that
seems to help (note, I'm not saying solved because I'm skeptical) is
exit all browser windows and Acrobat Reader 6.  Then go to your task
manager and look at your processes that are running.  There should be an
AcroRd32.exe process in your list.  End that process.  Now go repair
Acrobat Reader 6. We are on Windows XP by the way.

Since I did this one three PCs last week we have been able to download
and print the articles we receive without any problem.  If this truly
does fix the problem we are having I have to figure out how to write the
instructions to send with the electronically delivered articles so that
even the less computer literate of our users can do this before they
download their first article.  With several hundred people that will
need to do this I see a lot of headaches ahead...

Hope this of some help to you.

Carolyn

Carolyn Ruby-Weilage
Research Library