seeking a client side include similar to server side include

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Wed Sep 1 09:38:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

Much of our website has divs that occur on all pages eg a sidebar, a banner etc. With ASP, it is possible to have the server insert a text file into the web page. In this way, repeating parts of the website need only be edited in one place. In ASP, this is called a Server Side Include.

Is it possible to do something similar when creating the web site on a local PC. My idea is that I would place an include instruction throughout the various pages in a folder and then run a utility that would automatically insert the files that are to be included into the various pages. This utility would also copy these pages, as static HTML files, into another folder ready for upload to the web server.

I know I can set up a web server with an ASP engine on the pc and then using 'View Source' within Internet Explorer save a copy of the file, with all the divs included, as a HTML file in another folder. But I am hoping there is an easier way of doing this task.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards
John
This e-mail and any attachment contain information
which is private and confidential and is intended
for the addressee only.  If you are not an addressee,
you are not authorised to read, copy or use the e-mail
or any attachment.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.