[WEB4LIB] to X or not to X

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:52:54 EDT 2004

Vicki Falkland wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>i've had a lingering thought for a long time now .."one day, when i get
>time, i'll convert the entire library site from HTML 4.01 Transitional to
>XHTML 1.0".
>i thought this was A Good Thing to do. i've done one page so far.
>
>however, today i stumbled across a discussion "XHTML is invalid HTML" at
>http://annevankesteren.nl/archives/2004/06/invalid-html.
>
>one commenter suggests it would be better to move from Transitional
>HTML4.01 to Strict, rather than move to XHTML. i certainly don't understand
>much of what's contained in the discussion ... "application/xhtml+xml", and
>character encoding (that one always leaves me staring blankly).
>
>i'd value opinions on what would be the best way to go .. should i go to
>strict, or to XHTML? or doesn't it matter so long as it validates? and what
>about the one page that already XHTML .. is the bit in my meta tag that
>says "text/html" wrong, and it's not XHTML afterall??

IMO, of course...

The great leap forward here is from accepting whatever glop your copy of
FrontWeaver pumps out, to giving a damn about markup standards at all.
By asking this question, you know you're already on the right track.

Moving from any flavor of HTML to the corresponding flavor of XHTML is a
pretty minor syntax change.  The failure of IE to handle XHTML's
official MIME content type is a non-negligible issue, but a good server
environment should be able to send either "application/xhtml+html" or
"text/html" based on the browser's Accept headers.

Moving from either Transitional version to the corresponding Strict
version is where you really get the benefits from distilling your markup
down to clean structure.

Again IMO,  there's little advantage to moving from HTML to XHTML unless
you either need to use other XML applications or editors, or you just
want to play with XHTML.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu