[WEB4LIB] Content contributers -how many?

Genny Engel gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Tue Oct 12 17:07:51 EDT 2004

I have about 20 people updating certain specific content on our live
public website.  They are using a calendar application that allows each
library branch to maintain its own calendar.  It's based on perl and
MySQL.  I intend to be rolling out several other applications
(homegrown) that will use PHP and MySQL to update other types of data.

For the staff site, I have one person set up with Contribute, but I
have set up a role in Contribute for her that limits her to specific
directories on the site, plus I have provided her with pretty
locked-down templates so there is only so much of the document that she
can change.

I would feel OK about a similarly locked-down Contribute method or
script+database method for pretty much any needed number of staff to
keep stuff updated. We have hundreds of pages on our public site and a
small but growing number on our staff site, and I'm only one person, so
I am not anywhere close to being able to keep everything 100% updated by
myself.  If other people want to do the grunt work of updating and leave
me to the fun work of new development, I'm all for it ;)

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian
Sonoma County Library
gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
707 545-0831 x581

>>> "Pons, Lisa (ponslm)" <PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU> 10/12/04 11:23AM >>>
Our library uses Macromedia Contribute, and we are being asked to move
have about 34 people to  have  access to the live server, who will be
able
to edit and create content.

Does anyone out there have this many people editing content? I am sure
University's do: but I wonder if they are using a content management
system
or staging server. ( I will ask that question on UWEBD). However, I am
particularly interested in libraries.

Any thoughts on this? Does it sound crazy or ok?

Thanks!

Lisa Pons-Haitz

Webmaster
University Libraries