subject based vs material based library intranet site

jennifer.kirton at agric.nsw.gov.au jennifer.kirton at agric.nsw.gov.au
Thu Oct 7 21:57:14 EDT 2004

Dear Everyone,

We are about to undertake a fairly rapid review and restructure of our
library intranet site (special library in a government department) due to
a forced migration to a new publishing system.

We currently group our services and content under "format"

For example     Journals has a link to the online journals as well as lists of our print journal
holdings and links to our online document delivery request forms
                Books has links to the catalogue, request forms and online books either as a
collection (e.g Project Gutenberg) or an individual title

Other broad groups include Popular Services, Databases, a portal for a
particular client group and a few subject guides  including Statistics,
Legislation, Management and some specifically related to the Department's
role.  (Looking at them as I wrote this I have realised we had more than I
thought, they are not grouped together as such!)

We are interested in moving to a far more subject based structure and was
wondering if anyone had done this successfully and how was it received by
the users?

If you could supply web links to your site that would be great, but if
your site is an intranet, a screen capture of your home page, or a copy of
your plan would be very useful.

Thank you
Jennifer

Jennifer Kirton
Library
NSW Department of Primary Industries
Wollongbar Agricultural Institute
1243 Bruxner Highway
Wollongbar
New South Wales  2477
Australia
jennifer.kirton at agric.nsw.gov.au
ph +61 2 6626 1321
fax  +61 2 6628 5925

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or
received it in error, please delete the message and notify sender. Views
expressed are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the
views of their organisation.