[WEB4LIB] Moveable Type for Libraries

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Oct 30 16:39:04 EDT 2004

> We are looking at using Moveable Type for our in-house library weblog
> needs. In reviewing the MT web site, I wasn't apparent to me which license
> category we would qualify. Not-For-Profit seems the closest fit but MT
> doesn't seem to directly recognize the library/government sector within
> their categories. If you know the answer, please drop me a line!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrew Mutch
> Library Systems Technician
> Waterford Township Public Library
> Waterford, MI

Andrew, write and ask them. I spent a lot of time talking to MT about
library pricing a month or two ago, and they chose to leave it a flexible
model. (I can't remember how I got involved; maybe from my comments on my
blog about the new software. They talked to a number of other librarians, as
well.) They were very surprised by the many types of libraries available. I
believe that they are committed to serving the library community at
reasonable cost.

Regarding 2.66 and 3.1*, whooo, world of difference. I maintain multiple MT
blogs, and the upgrade to 3.1 had several crucial changes. One is comment
authentication. 3.1* is robust and flexible; you can allow anyone to comment
(a bad idea--you'll be flooded with spam, and don't talk to me about MT
Blacklist, how do YOU spell laborious...), enable approval, etc. Another new
feature is postdating. Imagine a busy week where you know three out of five
days you aren't going to be around or will be pressed for time. Create your
entries and they show up on the scheduled date. (You need to be able to
enable cron on your server for this.) Then there were some nice template
options.

I am running 3.1, but plan to go to whatever's available over the Xmas
holiday, when I have a little more time.

The contact form for librarians is at:

http://moveabletype.org/get_movable_type_education.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I am very happy with Movable Type. I understand many people like Wordpress,
but most of the library blogs I read are running MT, which tells you
something. (Or not.) Frankly, for the features and support, it's a fantastic
value.

The only problems I have had with MT have to do with my hosting provider,
which at times has changed permissions and not told me. But MT was very fast
in responding (and they were right, it wasn't MT, it was Dreamhost).

If you don't want to get into installing software, don't overlook Typepad.
It has a lot of features. For me, installing MT is one way to retain or
develop technical skills, which I may not actually need in the real world
but I personally feel are important. If I want a new feature in my blog, I
force myself to learn something new. If you scratch that itch some other
way, or you don't feel it at all, consider Typepad.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com