[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Print

george at library.caltech.edu george at library.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:25:49 EDT 2004

For a little more on Google Print, see Peter Suber's entry in Open
Access News
<http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_10_03_fosblogarchive.html#a1097
07193932218145> or <http://tinyurl.com/64va9>.  Gary Price informed me
about a couple of entries at Search Engine Watch
<http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3417941> and
<http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/041006-234>.

I tried Roy Tennant's suggestion of searching Huckleberry Finn.  I was
underwhelmed, but that may be due to the nature of the book product
which was retrieved.  I tried both 'tom sawyer' and ' "tom sawyer" '
(using single quotes in this message to enclose the search terms as
typed).  The string search suppressed the 'Product search results'
function in Google.  Something which I hadn't noticed previously was a
[definition] link in the bar where the search terms and result set are
described.  In this case, Tom Sawyer is defined
<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tom+sawyer&r=67> by
Dictionary.com.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA 91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681
http://library.caltech.edu
contributor http://stlq.info |
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html