AuthPro?

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 17:58:37 EDT 2004

Hi all,
I have recently started as librarian at a small,
private university in Boulder where I am responsible
for developing a strategic plan and generally moving
the library forward on campus.  I could go on for days
about the neglect of the library for the past 30 years
but that's beyond our scope.  I am mainly concerned
with the way the library has been authenticating
remote users.  Our systems person (part-time,
self-taught, little library background) has us set up
with AuthPro (http://www.authpro.com).  Is anyone
familiar with this product?  I am concerned about the
security here and with future contracts as I try to
license more databases.  There are user issues also,
in terms of how long it takes someone to obtain access
once registered, but I'm very concerned about whether
this is at all appropriate for access to library
databases.  Once users have logged in, the URLs of the
databases then contain ID and password information in
the URL string.  This is very bad I realize, and
perhaps can be changed without changing from AuthPro,
but I'm not really sure about that.  Any comments are
appreciated.

Mary Beth Faccioli
Naropa University Allen Ginsberg Library
Boulder, CO