[WEB4LIB] RE: AP study

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Thu Oct 28 14:47:41 EDT 2004

Classic quote, Karen.
"start[ing] from the assumption that the user is not broken...would hose
most ILS interfaces right off the bat."

Perhaps you were poking fun, perhaps you meant exactly what you said;
either way, I think you're right: ILS interfaces are hosed.  While I
don't have a magic bullet answer, most ILS interfaces could use major
overhauls (and not merely to the first page splat of the Google results
list format, either).

Maybe an easy to use search field (or two, or three max) with intuitive
Boolean built in, some "smart" algorithms behind the scenes to catch
obvious typos (based on db content) e.g. Google's "did you mean" link at
the top of the results list, and possible grouped results lists (i.e. if
a proper name is entered "items by [proper name]," "items about [proper
name]," with a sub-sort "by format(physical, electronic, webpage,
article, etc)."  When a term is entered, have that term compared to
"official" subject (LC, internal proprietary, whatever) headings and
offer results of those terms or links to those extra results as well.

Like I said, no magic bullets - but if a commercial search engine
(Yahoo, Google, AltaVista. &c) has had some of these features available
for at least two years why don't ILS have similar?  Yes, strides are
being made.  Yes, there is hope.  But will these changes be made before
it is too late and we have lost access to the up-and-coming user market?

Are there efforts underway, beyond the current, first and second
generation federated searhcing initiatives to build such?
To me, this almost looks like a fresh start would be required with a
different set of basic asumptions: the user knows what s/he wants,
doesn't care where it comes from, and wants it "now."

-Aaron
:-)'