No subject

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Thu Oct 28 13:27:25 EDT 2004

There are some valid arguments for federated search tools--in situations where they combine results of similar topical databases for similar-level audiences--but some promoters of federated searching have used the argument "people want to use something as easy as Google--why shouldn't the library give it to them?" to make it seem like a blanket solution.

The counter to that--as the study in this article shows--is that most users don't make effective use of search engines. That's where they are. So the answer is yes, we either train them or work to create search engines that will lead users beyond the 2 words/first page of results circuit.