_Science and Technology Wikis?_

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Oct 24 12:59:29 EDT 2004

_Science and Technology Wikis?_

Colleagues/

For my next SCI-5 column for _Science & Technology Libraries_ (Haworth), I plan to profile five significant Science and/or Technology wikis. As defined by The Wikipedia
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/ ], a "Wiki or wiki (pronounced 'wicky' or 'weekee') is a Website (or other hypertext document collection) that allows any user to add content, as on an Internet forum, but also allows that content to be edited by any other user"
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki  ]. The SciTech wikis I've identified through Google include:

· AVC Science Wiki  (NSDL)
[ http://avc.comm.nsdlib.org/cgi-bin/sciencewiki.pl ]

· Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
[ http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/Wiki ]

· SEEK: Science Environment for Ecological Knowledge
[ http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/ ]

· Simple Science Wiki
[ http://www.renaissoft.com/April/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_Science_Wiki ]

· Virtual Math Teams Project
[ http://mathforum.org/wiki/VMT/VMT?HomePage  ]

In addition to these potential candidates for the Sci-5 Treatment (e.g., Ecological and Environmental Data [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/EcoData.pdf ]), I am interested in learning of Any and All Science and/or Technology Wikis for potential consideration and review [and for inclusion in a possible CyberStacks(sm) registry [:-)]. Of particular interest are the use of wikis by Science and/or Technology Libraries.

TIA!

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan