[WEB4LIB] Using private blog for library intranet?

Deidre Lowe lowe at usq.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 01:32:38 EDT 2004

Hi Michael,

At the University of Southern Queensland we have a blog set up for
internal purposes to notify Library staff of all changes relating to our
electronic resources (subscriptions, trials, downtime, tips etc).  The
blog was written by our Electronic Services Officer and is hosted on an
internal University server.  When a new item is posted, a global email
is automatically sent to all Library staff while the post itself is
archived in the blog for later reference.  Only a handful of staff (our
CMS web editors) have administrative privileges for writing posts.

The blog is only accessible to Library staff, who use their campus login
to access the contents.

The main benefits over just sending global emails are:
- staff can access the blog from anywhere (including the reference desk,
faculty offices, off campus) using their campus login
- posts are searchable
- staff don't need to keep individual records of resource announcements
in their own mailbox
- the blog is the definitive reference point for any information
relating to our electronic resources subscriptions.

Because it is an internal application, I can't give you access, but I
could send you screen captures if it is of interest.

Regards,
Deidre.
Deidre Lowe
Acting Associate Librarian (Information Access)
The Library, University of Southern Queensland
West St, Toowoomba  QLD  4350

Ph: +61.7.4631.1846
Fax: +61.7.4631.1841
E-mail: lowe at usq.edu.au