[WEB4LIB] Re: Browser birthday of note

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Oct 14 13:50:07 EDT 2004

> Thomas Dowling wrote [in part] :
> >
> > (Then they started yapping about the browser becoming the desktop, and
> > how Java would make the desktop OS irrelevant, and generally doing
> > everything they could to make themselves a target for You Know Who.)

But their shenanigans resulted in one of the best books about that era,
essential reading for web4libber-types: The New, New Thing, by Michael
Lewis, a highly illuminating portrait of Jim Clark. If you ever found
yourself trying to explain to board members why *free* things couldn't be
counted on indefinitely or that people were, in fact, reading more books
than ever, this book will be at least comforting. If we ever get near a
craze like that one again, re-read this book immediately so you know what
you're up against in arguing for boring old library Web services.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com