[SPAM] [WEB4LIB] RE: marketing, lobbying, and vendors

Matthew Theobald Theobald at isen.org
Mon Nov 22 17:31:08 EST 2004

Two points from my experience:

Once in a videoconference with Larry Prusak (who coined the term
Knowledge Managment) I asked him what librarians could do to become
more active with KM initiatives in organizations.  He answered, "Have
you ever heard of P.T. Barnum?"

The Director of a major library told me he had his entire staff do
Meyers-Briggs testing.  90%+ were introverts.  You don't have
introverts do marketing.  It will take a major cultural change for this
to happen at the librarian level.

I like the idea of marketing like the ACLU or even something like
TIAA-CREF. (or even the Lottery)  It is not hard to argue that
libraries are the foundation of cultural investment in communities.

-Matt

Matthew S. Theobald, MLS
317 North East Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202