Mooter search engine

Terry Nikkel Terry.Nikkel at Dal.Ca
Fri Nov 19 07:21:44 EST 2004

The current discussion of Google Scholar is stimulating and seems to be
making a lot of us think hard about our roles in the evolving world of
search engines.  I have come across another search engine that I had not
heard of before, called Mooter, and that I think may interest search engine
fans.  Mooter is under development in Australia, and is headed by Liesl
Capper, who is a psychologist.  A couple of simple searches show that
Mooter has some great features, particularly clustering of related
results.  http://www.mooter.com

The following is a quote from the Mooter 'About' page:
In the past, search engine development focused on making as much
information available to users as possible. It was up to the user to sort
through hundreds or possibly millions of search results to find what they
were looking for.

Mooter, by contrast, employs unprecedented "artificial algorithms" based on
psychological modelling to process and understand the information users seek.

"Today's engines typically throw up hundreds of results and ask users to
sort through them or rephrase the search criteria," Ms Capper, CEO of
Mooter, says.

"We use complex algorithms to short-circuit the search process."

"Users shouldn't have to work hard to find what they want. Mooter sets out
to solve the problems of most search engines by understanding the
psychology of how users interact with information."

Terry Nikkel

Terry Nikkel
Head, Library Systems
Dalhousie University Libraries