[WEB4LIB] RE: Moveable Type for Libraries

Anna Creech CreechA at cwu.EDU
Tue Nov 9 13:26:29 EST 2004

Blake Carver wrote:
"Movable Type, at least the old versions, are having HUGE problems with
SPAM. There are nights when I need to kill off MT comments completely to
keep the server from dying, it's that bad. I'm not sure how the newer
versions are."

I use Movable Type 2.65 because I haven't had a reason to upgrade.  I
used to get a lot of comment spam, and after a July 4th spam attack of
300+ spam comments, I decided to take action.  I had been using
MT-Blacklist for quite some time, and it is fairly effective in comment
spam cleanup and blocking.  I added the CloseComments plug-in and that
has helped eliminate nearly all of the comment spam.  Every time I
rebuild after publishing a new entry, comments are closed on all of the
entries older than 15 days (or however long you want to make the time
limit).  The comment spammers can't spam my old entries now that the
comments are closed, and for some reason they don't bother with new
entries.  I haven't bothered to update my MT-Blacklist file since the
beginning of August, and I haven't had a single comment spam in that
time period.

Anna

Anna L. Creech, MLS
Serials & Electronic Resources Librarian
Central Washington University
Serials Department - Library
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548