[WEB4LIB] CMS question

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Nov 5 11:11:20 EST 2004

I've been very pleased with Zope but haven't used it as much for CMF/CMS
as I have for its other "Product" features.  On the lists and WEB sites
for Zope I understand it is very good for CMS.

  I find Products very useful for instance our News page (
http://www.library.appstate.edu/blog/news/ ) is a Product, COREBlog made
for Zope.  I installed the Product and our WEB Librarian filled out
forms supplied by the product to create the blog.  All options turned
on, except email blog submissions,  for the COREBlog product can be seen
at http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/coreblogtest/  where I
first tested it.  The right hand column is automatically populated.  The
blog is sort of a CMS in that you can receive comments to review before
they are published.

There are all kinds of useful features and Products for Zope that quite
often only require a single install by copying the Product to the
Products directory and restart.  I use Zope mainly for its simple
ability to connect to most any popular database and use that database
for dynamic pages.  In fact, everything on a Zope site is in a database
itself.  When you upgrade you can copy your Data.fs file to the new
upgrade location and you're back up and running.

Two products that would probably interest you are the CMS Product and
Plone.  I've set up a Plone server for our calendar server (behind a
firewall right now ) and have seen how this could be used for CMS/CMF
with review then publish system.  Pages created in the included forms
are controlled by CSS pages which are editable.   And the content goes
through a StructuredText Product which essentially makes the page 508
accessible, conform to W3C-WAI accessiblilty guidelines, valid XHTML,
valid CSS, and usable in any browser according to PLONE.

See the Zope.org site for a full listing of products.  If you use Zope,
definitely get on the Zope list for very good support from the Zgurus.

Thomas