Web Statistics Software - Which one to buy?

Lynn Eades beades at med.unc.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:19:51 EST 2004

Hi!  I have been following the discussion of web site statistics and
have found it quite interesting.  I would like to have your opinions on
the best software to use for gathering web statistics.

Let me give some background.  We currently have Wusage and WebTrends 8.1
(web version).  We have been looking at these two because we need to be
able to pull constituency data from our log files.  I have created a
spreadsheet with the IPs for the five health schools we are the primary
library for and the teaching hospital that is part of our University.  I
have also gathered IPs for various other libraries and Area Health
Education Centers in the state.  We have found various anomalies in
using both programs.  Some months a certain constituency's usage looks
right, the next month is much lower or higher.  Our Research Librarian
is quite concerned about these anomalies.

We did look at Analog, but it will not pull the constituency data we
need.  Are there other programs we should look into for our needs?  If
anyone can give me a good explanation I can give our Research Librarian
on the anomalies, it would be greatly appreciated :-)

I appreciate any help that you can give.  Thanks!

Lynn

--
B. Lynn Eades
Web Development Librarian