[WEB4LIB] RE: marketing, lobbying, and vendors

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Sat Nov 20 18:17:14 EST 2004

True, but ACLU also addresses issues that raise the hackles of more of
the general public.

We (libraries) are pretty much taken for granted -- meaning our
offerings are not examined, merely accepted as "the way things should
be" (unless the vocal minority start grumping about how we are dens of
iniquity that want to force children to view porn or other such
silliness).
The trick is to capitalize on our ubiquity (there are libraries all over
the place).  Of course the other trick would be to eradicate our
shushing stereotype.  Hm... Another trick could be to get kids to see
and share our (web4libbers and similar types') techno-savvy-ness.

Straw poll alert: How many of us (web4libbers) actually have positions
that rewire even 1/4 time service in public areas?  Without a
savvy-seeming bunch in the forefront of public service how do we
convince "outsiders" we are technologically competent?

-Aaron
:-)'

Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling [loaning?] weapons to both sides.
-James Quinn