[WEB4LIB] Gathering data from an online survey

Robyn Barker barkerr at webster.ac.th
Thu Nov 18 08:38:35 EST 2004

I don't know how much it would cost, but I doubt that you would get
anywhere near the 10,000 responses that Karen was looking at.  Perhaps you
can get a more limited version.  There are free versions available on the
Internet, but sometimes "free" ends up being more expensive if you waste
administrative time trying to cope with data conversion problems or useless
or inaccurate information.  Definitely look for a survey that will allow
you to download the results in delimited format if you want to import them
into a Word database application.

Do you have a copy of the LITA Guide "Usability Assessment of
Library-Related Web Sites"?  It has some excellent articles and case
studies on usability assessment.  Some hands on observation would be
helpful to find out how students interact with the site.  I've been very
surprised by what patrons do.

A case study of Webster's library site would be an excellent addition to
the literature, by the way, because of the significant proportion of users
who are coming from overseas and are differently skilled with the English
language.

Robyn Barker
Librarian
Webster University (Thailand)

At 01:38 PM 11/16/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>We are going through a website redesign and would like to put up an online
>survey asking users what they think of our website.  I know there is a way
>to get the responses we gather into an application such as a database or
>spreadsheet program.  I just don't know how to do it.
>
>Would someone be able to briefly outline the steps involved?  Also, do I
>need any special software for this other than the application program (we
>are using MS Office).
>
>Thank you so much.
>
>Kathy M. Gaynor, Reference Librarian
>Emerson Library