[WEB4LIB] Re: Ejournals and subjects - and browsing

Larry Campbell larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Tue Nov 30 11:17:43 EST 2004

Thanks for the reponse, Tim, and you make a number of good points,
certainly. Regarding subject lists, though, I'd ask these questions: do
we know how many people, engaged in so-called "information seeking
behavior", are not seeking any particular known item and also not really
looking for particular key words, but really would just like to see
what's available lately in a broad academic topic or discipline -- in
other words, are browsing or would like to browse? And how important is
that kind of serendipitous curiosity, or just desire to "keep up", for
students, researchers and scholars generally? And, if it's at all
important, how do we provide adequate compensation, in our presentation
of eresources as a whole, for the loss of a physical environment which
typically afforded such opportunities for print resources?

Just throwing these questions out. Your point about the possiblities for
being led astray by subject lists of titles is well taken.

Larry Campbell
Librarian, Information Technology Services
UBC Library
Email: larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Telephone: (604) 822-2076