[WEB4LIB] Wireless APs and Liability

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Nov 29 12:08:32 EST 2004

Michael,

I don't think the library takes on any more liability than any other ISP. RIAA
may come looking for information on who is engaging in the activity but the
library itself should be fairly immune from claims against it unless the
library has knowledge of specific infringement and takes no action to stop it.
That being said, I would definitely require, at the minimum, all users to view
and accept an AUP that covers this ground before they access your network. We
are using PublicIP to authenticate users onto our wireless network and while
we run an open network, no one gets Internet access before they view and
accept our Internet Access Policy which is available here:

http://www.waterford.lib.mi.us/general/inetaccess.htm

If they get themselves into trouble, no one can claim that they didn't know
about the policy. They may have chosen not to read the policy but that's their
decision. I would get legal feedback on the legal issues but that's how we've
approached it.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library