Overlap analysis of online journals

Eileen Lutzow elutzow at csuniv.edu
Mon Nov 29 11:06:42 EST 2004

Robert,

We are a small library with a limited budget and find Serials
Solutions' Overlap Analysis tool very useful, especially before
purchasing a new database, but also when re-evaluating a
database at renewal time.  If the database almost completely
duplicates what we already have, then there's little reason to add it
or keep it.  Some databases have pleasantly surprised us with the
amount of unique (for us) content they offer.  If we are comparing
two similar databases, we can limit the analysis to just those two to
do a head-to-head comparison, and then with a few clicks add
each or both into our current mix to compare that way.  Although
the first results page in the analysis report lists a chart with
numbers and percentages of unique vs. overlap, you simply click
on that number to see a list of titles for that category.  Very useful
to pinpoint titles that are unique (for us) to that database, and it
certainly beats manually comparing the title lists from the various
vendors.

Yes there are other factors we consider when evaluating a
database, but Overlap Analysis is a very powerful tool to have
available.  It is so easy to use, that our head of reference, our
acquisitions librarian, and our director all have access to it and can
use it whenever they choose, without any assistance from me.

Eileen Lutzow
Charleston Southern University Library