linking from Wikipedia

row3 at lehigh.edu row3 at lehigh.edu
Sat Nov 27 20:58:57 EST 2004

Hi all,

Recently, inspired by talk on this list among other things, I made my first
contributions (albeit quite limited) to Wikipedia. I had noticed that the
Wikipedia Copernicus article linked to an external site displaying the scanned
title page of his De revolutionibus, but did not link to the complete digital
facsimile hosted by my own institution, or similar resources at other
institutions. So I added links to our own and other digital facsimiles to the
Copernicus, De revolutionibus, and Brahe articles.

I was a little unsure as to how proper it was to create such links to your own
institution, but assumed it would be appropriate in this situation especially
given the nature of the existing external links.  I posted a question to the
discussion page for the article just to confirm that these links were
appropriate and have received at least one positive response.

I am curious as to whether others have similarly used Wikipedia as an
opportunity to link to the resources offered by their own or another library.
Should we be doing this regularly? Under what circumstances do you think it is
appropriate?

Thanks for your help,

rob

Rob Weidman <http://dig.lib.lehigh.edu/row3/>