[WEB4LIB] Re: Link Managment tool

Peter Verhagen pverhagen at sapl.ab.ca
Fri Nov 26 12:41:09 EST 2004

On a side note, I wrote an unfinished link management tool I called
ASPLinks, written in classic VB (not .net) and uses interbase 6/firebird
as its database (great for Dynix IPAC/HIP sites that run on Windows).
Supports click-thru tracking, 5 count link voyeur, top 5 click thus
list, total number of links/categories, in-form upload of link
icon/image/graphic, web page script execution timing, web-based database
builder, and link annotation/descriptions.

Client side demonstration is here:
http://www.sapl.ab.ca/links/index.asp

The bad news is that the search feature is not finished, doesn't permit
same link in different categories (yet), needs better theme integration
and handling, I have yet to store the image/icon/graphic into the
database (currently anonymous upload permissions req. on a directory),
database has to be created by hand/command line (but the tables,
triggers and updates are built from an web based install script),  I
have yet to re-write the link counts so that it doesn't take up much
room, and index.asp page is quite messy. In other words, there is quite
alot yet to be done.

If anyone has an interest in improving on this project, I wouldn't mind
starting up a sourceforge project site and doing some colaberative work.
Email me privately if interested in either the source or joint project
development..

Cheers,
Peter Verhagen