[WEB4LIB] Re: Welcome to the Schoogle Era

Nina McHale nlm25 at georgetown.edu
Thu Nov 18 16:21:23 EST 2004

To address Scott's first question: in all seriousness, Larry and
Sergei.  They've said repeatedly in interviews that they're not looking
to take over or replace libraries.  Their great interest and strength is
in the search process, and Google Scholar will not change the fact that
the Internet is still a puddle a mile wide and an inch deep.  They do
search, we do content via our negotiations with vendors and our
familiarity with the scholarly publishing process.  It's a great match.

Question 2: I agree that we can't wait for others to do this, mostly
because of the "via" in the second to last sentence above.  We're the
middle man here, as someone else has already noted in the thread.  Isn't
the consensus (I generalize here, I know) simply that users turn to
Google because it's so much easier to use than, oh, say, Factiva or any
of the other databases that we all take great pains to organize in an
intuitive way on our institutions' websites?  We know what our users
want: a simple search interface and FREE FULL TEXT NOW.  And I think the
Napster/RIAA comparison is right on; if we're not careful, we'll turn
into the Big Bad Corporation standing between the product and the
consumer trying to justify our own bad business practices.

Question 3: I haven't a clue.  I'll leave this to those of you with more
library experience and wisdom. :)

Nina

--
Nina McHale
Reference Librarian/Web Services Coordinator
nlm25 at georgetown.edu
202-687-6818