[WEB4LIB] Re: Welcome to the Schoogle Era

Tiffini Travis ttravis at csulb.edu
Thu Nov 18 13:42:13 EST 2004

Yes seems as if there are two schools of thought on the
matter- the commercial user and the educational user- i
doubt the commercial user will be searching for scholarly
information that often and so i doubt seriously that
google is trying to appeal to the user that doesnt have
access to any copy- its marketing to students and so
called scholars that are unaware of what they have access
to..if you work in an academic library you see them come
to the reference desk often and unfortunatley you get the
students that pay for stuff the library already paid for.
I totally agree with your assessment that we suck at
marketing and this is the cause for our dilemma and why
commercial sites have an advantage on the internet.
~T