text, database and multimedia harvesting?

Fiona Bradley fiona.bradley at sbs.com.au
Mon Nov 15 00:12:11 EST 2004

Our library is investigating options for harvesting our data sources so
that we can access resources using one interface. Current resources
include -

- Proprietary database (with web access via ODBC)
- Intranet
- PDF
- Microsoft Office documents
- Images (JPG, PSD etc)
- Video (mpg etc)
- Audio (mp3, and some proprietary formats)

I've taken a brief look at the specs of our database vendor's product
(Inmagic Gatherer), but I'm wondering what else is available especially
including harvesting audio. Ideally I'd like a solution that is
standards-based and web-based so it can be accessed across the library.

Would something like Fedora work http://www.fedora.info/?

thanks,
Fiona

Acting Assistant Manager